Prioritize Phishing Protection in Your Security Strategy
As we enter the second full week of the new year, a lot of companies are beginning to think about their security strategy for 2019. There are a lot of different ways cyber criminals can attack a business, but it is often the most basic of tactics – the phishing email – that can take down your company.
Forrester continues by explaining one of the reasons so many companies fall victim to phishing emails. “Many organizations focus their cybersecurity strategy on threat detection and buying tools to detect the most advanced threats. Email security, and therefore antiphishing, then typically becomes a lower priority”.
“Due to their manipulative nature, phishing emails are quite difficult to detect and block. They target their victims by masking malicious links and attachments to mimic routine tasks or urgent requests. The attacker may sit in your network for months, observing the comings and goings of company correspondence to craft the perfect personalized email that fools even experienced S&R pros. Phishing prevention requires a layered approach that includes:
- Email content security. Filter out obvious spam and phishing attempts.
- Anti-malware detection. Block malware before it infects users.
- Browser isolation technology. Stop users from divulging credentials or downloading malware.
- Email authentication. Stop impersonation attacks such as spoofing and business email compromise (BEC).
- Security awareness training and testing. Arm your users with knowledge and techniques to deflect phishing attempts.
- Multifactor authentication. Guard against credential theft.”
So as 2019 gets moving and phishing continues to be a major security threat, make phishing prevention a priority for your business. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be highlighting the various strategies our company utilizes along with the programs and companies we partner with to keep BECA and our customers secure. Learn how the IT professionals protect themselves against a continuously growing threat.